Can H-4 Dependents legally work in United States?

Can H-4 Dependents legally work in United States?I am spouse of H-1B visa holder in the United States and heard that Department of Homeland Security has allowed spouses of H-1B visa holders to get the authorization to work. I have been in the United States with my husband for the past 6 years and now he has applied for lawful permanent resident status.

My question is can I apply for Employment authorization so that I can work and earn for us and share financial burden with my husband. What is the procedure and when I can submit my application?

Department of Homeland Security has included certain H-4 depends of the H1-B visa holders effective from May 26, 2015. The H-4 depend spouses are eligible to apply for employment authorization if H-1B non-immigrant is either the principal beneficiary on the approved Form I-140 or has the H-1B status.

You must file the Form I-765, along with supporting documents such as government issued identification, marriage certificate, proof of H-1B non-immigrant status and filing fee of $380. United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) would reject the application to receive Employment Authorization Document (Form I-766) it the supporting documents or fee is missing.

MORE:  Can Step Father Sponsor Illegal Immigrant Son for Green Card?

Leave A Reply