How do F1 students apply for Adjustment of Status in USA?

 How do F1 students apply for Adjustment of Status?International students who entered United States as F1 student can obtain green card through adjustment of status if they married to a US citizen. However, there are certain requirements F1 student must meet before opting for the route to permanent residence through adjustment of status. The students must maintain their F1 status before applying for green card. In case the foreign student failed to maintain the F1 status then other options such as leaving the country and submitting application at USA consulate in their country of origin.

The Adjustment of Status is better option as the foreign student can submit all the paper work including forms and supporting documents to United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) and attend the interview while still in the country. However, F1 student must submit application for green card through adjustment of status before F1 visa status is expired. Students have about 60 days after completing their studies. So application for green card must be submitted within 60 days after finishing all the requirements of the study program.

As part of the application process to obtain green card through adjustment of status, F1 student’s US citizen spouse must submit USCIS Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative. F1 Student has to submit USCIS Form I-485, Application to Register or Adjust Status. F1 student must also consider submitting form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, which allows the him/her to obtain a work permit.

You will also require to pay the appropriate fees for the application forms. The fee for Form I-130 is $420 whereas it is $1070 for filling Form I-485. It is always better to check the USCIS website for the most recent forms and fee information as the fees may change from time to time.

MORE:  What is E-2 Treaty Investor Visa to United States?



Leave A Reply