Canadian citizens do not need visa to enter the United States for the purpose of tourism or pleasure. However, permanent residents of Canada must apply for United States visit visa before they can leave Canada to visit the US. The applicant apply for non-immigrant B2 visa and would be required the Embassy of the United States in Ottawa or Consulates in other parts of Canada to appear for in person interview.
The process of applying for a non-immigrant visa to the United States is a three step process that includes filing of only application DS-160, schedule an appointment for interview and attend the visa interview. Following are the three steps:
- Completing an online application called the DS-160.
- Scheduling an appointment for a visa interview.
- Attending an in-person interview and presenting the requisite documents.
The first two steps are completed online. After filing out the DS-160, the applicant of visit visa receive the confirmation page. It is important to provide all the required information and not to leave any section incomplete. Failing to complete the application properly can result in scheduling another interview appointment.
Applicants must bring the confirmation page with them to their interview. A separate DS-160 application form must be completed for each family member seeking a visa to enter the United States.
You can pay the non-immigrant visa fee of US$160 while you are scheduling your visa interview appointment. You can pay the fee by cash or credit card.
The applicants must submit the following documents to support their B2 non-immigrant visa application:
- Printout of DS-160 Confirmation Page with legible bar code
- Valid Passport (at least 6 months)
- Proof of legal status in Canada (original or certified copy)
- Older passports containing previous visas
- Documents substantiating previous legal status in U.S.
- Reciprocity fee (if applicable)
- Proof of sufficient funds to cover all expenses while in the U.S.
- Proof of ties/residence in a country outside the U.S. which have no intentions of abandoning
- Evidence showing purpose of trip.
Applicants bring the documents with them at the time of visa interview. If their application is successful, they will be issued B2 non-immigrant visa to enter the United States. After the visa interview you can check the status of visa and delivery information at the visa appointment site.
It is always advisable to check with the embassy or nearest consulate about the visa processing times before making any travel plans.